EDITOR’S NOTE: We updated this post on April 28 to reflect what folks on the Discord channel have told us — you don’t need Citizens to buy land!
We’ve been tracking this site and its role in the Non-Fungible Token (“NFT”) universe for a little while now. (You can learn more in our recent post, where we get started on the #MCP3D platform.) In our *opinion*, this whole site could catch fire, and we base this opinion on a couple factors:
- The “slow burn” development of the platform and users
- The fact that the mobile game and 3D game are both on the way
- The jockeying for position we see going on on the site
- AND the inevitable “OMG” factor that *could* come from scores of Chinese users playing this game on their mobile phones.
We even told you that we’ve cashed in some of our airdrops — WOO HOO! FREE CRYPTO! — to build out our own presence on the platform and in the game. (That link over there is an AFFILIATE LINK to a platform called Einstein, and you can read more about it on the post about the Einstein Exchange.)
How (and Why) to Buy Citizens Now
As we told you in our last post, you need Citizens to play the game. In fact, you can get Citizens and hold onto them and you don’t have to buy any real estate just yet. (We’d get a little of both.)
You need a wallet like Metamask — we prefer that one because, honestly, it’s secure and it has a great name — and then you need some ETH. Not a ton to get started, as the going price right now for a 3-pack (the “Local” pack) is 0.033 ETH. That equates to about $5.71 US – so maybe a Big Mac value meal if you’re into that sort of thing.
They give you a discount, too; the discount was as high as 8 percent, if memory serves, and it dropped a bit since we got into the game.
We decided to embed a tweet from middle of the past week, and we’ll tell you why in a hot second.
#MCP3D people – there’s been a little movement on the sale of Citizen packs.— Dave Van de Walle (@Area224) April 16, 2019
65 of the lowest-level 3-packs (“Local Pack”) have been purchased this week. Just FIVE “Federal Packs” have been purchased since last week.
7 Astronauts remain.
CC @imTokenOfficial @VRUoT2 pic.twitter.com/iiVlah3tIy
Now, the developments (which speak to the “and Why” in parentheses above):
Two things that we notice; neither of them are huge, but they’re both rather interesting.
- Note how, in the above tweet, the discount was 4.20 percent. Today (screenshot directly above is from Saturday evening, April 20, 2019), that discount is 4.80 percent. (DAMNIT, ASSOCIATED PRESS, WE SPELL OUT PERCENT HERE.) The game developers ratcheted the discount up to 5 percent yesterday, in an effort to boost sales.
- When we started tracking the numbers (on April 8), there were 3294 Local packs available. Now, just 3214 remain. That’s not crazy growth, but it’s steady.
We would expect more to be sold as Ethereum keeps its price moving up. We’d also expect more people to hang out and wait for more ETH, then to buy Federal packs (that’s one thing we plan on doing), which gives you a better chance of getting an astronaut.
(In case you’re wondering, in the ten days we’ve been watching, only 33 Urban packs, 10 Mayor packs, and just 5 Federal packs have been sold.)
Slow Burn…For Now…
Note that something could change at the drop of a hat — new developments in the game, another giveaway of Bounty Island assets, special pets being released — causing more people to head toward #MCP3D.
For now, we’ll just keep accumulating a little of both, Citizens and real estate, and keep an eye on what’s happening.
Who knows, maybe this Corgi will help us get an Astronaut?