As we write, one of two things is happening: either Bitcoin is in a free-fall, or Bitcoin has made some people a crazy amount of money. It’s impossible that both of those things are correct…right?
I mean, this is an all-too-real free-fall for someone who bought $10,000 worth of Bitcoin yesterday and now sees their stake south of $9,000.
Perspective is pretty important, and relative performance is probably the most vital thing in crypto.
Which brings us to the point of messaging.
What’s the Right Message Here?
That depends upon your perspective. The guy who got in yesterday is probably pretty peeved right about now, wondering why in the heck people are talking about this Bitcoin stuff like it’s going to change the world. After all, he’s down a grand.
The gal who got in a year ago might be doing the happy dance, using the phrase “HODL,” and plotting her next crypto investment.
What’s the Right Message for Your Coin, Your Token?
(Above is all foreshadowing for the announcement to come.) Crypto is littered with projects, launches, “altcoins,” “crapcoins,” and worse. Messages got lost in the shuffle, lost in the translation, lost in the search for the next big thing.
We’ve learned – in our year of reading white papers, experimenting, investing, re-investing, taking profits, taking losses, checking out crypto Twitter, laughing at memes, and searching for the truth – that there are no easy answers, but the projects that have the best chance of success are the ones that are clear about their message.
Bitcoin’s message – and it’s more of a meta-message, honed through years of backchannel discussions about what exactly it is and isn’t (and to some extent whether that message matches Satoshi’s original vision) – is one of a cryptographically secured digital asset, with limited supply, growing demand, and a world-changing (paradigm-shifting?) technology behind it. This message is likely to continue evolving – but, right now, it’s pretty rock-solid.
You can tease this out for a variety of coins, distill their message to a line or two – “Ethereum = smart contracts,” “Dash = digital cash” – and then decide whether or not that message matches the value of the asset.
It’s part art and part science – but it brings us to our announcement.
Metacoin: Marketing and PR for Crypto
That’s right…in some respects, this line of business makes perfect sense for us. We – led by yours truly, with more years of marketing and public relations experience than I care to admit – not only “get” this space, we “get” how to communicate your message in this space. We’re launching these services because we believe we’re uniquely positioned to help those in the cryptocurrency and digital currency arena with things like:
- Marketing and communications planning – for new launches and mature projects alike; as well as service providers that may not have their own token or coin to launch, but provide the kinds of ancillary products and services that help crypto thrive (meaning mining companies, tech providers, those who make chips and mining rigs, and legal and professional services providers). We have years of expertise in marketing and communications planning.
- Writing, editing, and production of marketing and PR pieces – this means more than white papers: investor decks, marketing presentations, technical writing, web copy, and social media campaigns.
- Media relations – story pitches, press releases, relationship-building with key reporters and editors on behalf of your project
- Analyst and Influencer relations – if you don’t think this is a thing now, you haven’t been paying attention. The difference between analyst relations in industries such as tech and SaaS and analyst relations in crypto is that you need to find out who the influencers are, because they aren’t obvious. We can help.
- Issue management and crisis communications – before it happens you need to prepare. Because it will happen. Are you prepared?
- Traditional (and non-traditional) PR – bounty campaigns and airdrops are the non-traditional, but Twitter campaigns can probably be called traditional these days. Both are right in our wheel house.
- Training and Consulting – we’ll train your team, we’ll consult with your personnel, and we’ll help you figure out whether or not this crypto and Bitcoin and blockchain stuff makes sense for your organization.
The “We” Here…
Dave is blessed in many ways: he can talk about himself in the third person, he likes to use the “Royal We,” and he’s part of a rock-solid team at TMD. And, with decades of experience in financial services marketing and communications, crypto comes naturally to the rest of the TMD enterprise. So it makes total sense that we can step in to help you with projects large and small, scaling up as need be, and keeping the objectives in mind all along the way.
We’re here. We’re ready. We get crypto. We get marketing and PR and all of the heavy lifting that’s necessary to get the right message to the right people at the right time.